Communities throughout the nation are seeking ways to commit to policies and programs that reduce environmental impacts and encourage sustainability. REALTORS® recognize the importance of encouraging the housing industry to move toward environmentally friendly principles. As local communities seek solutions, REALTORS® oppose mandatory labeling and regulatory standards that require retrofitting. These mechanisms increase housing costs and affect affordability. An effective alternative is to implement voluntary programs that provide financial resources and incentives that educate and empower property owners, such as retrofitting financing and cost recovery mechanisms. Providing programs like these facilitate green investment and energy efficiency improvements.
In moving toward environmentally conscious practices that encourage principles of sustainability and energy conservation, REALTORS® support:
• A shift toward environmentally friendly solutions fostered by a voluntary, incentive-based approach that allows for a positive impact to the environment and global community.
• Efforts to provide property owners with education, incentives and resources they need to improve their homes and save energy.
• Voluntary programs and standards that seek to mitigate environmental harm while providing marketbased incentives for energy conservation activities and focusing on sustainability of real estate assets.
• The voluntary use of sustainable materials in the construction of new buildings as well as voluntary energy efficient improvements to existing buildings when it makes economic sense and reduces environmental harm.
• The offering of educational programs and certifications to the REALTOR® community to help facilitate the shift toward environmentally friendly solutions in the Twin Cities and surrounding areas.
Overall, the association aims to increase awareness about sustainability for REALTORS® around the Twin Cities, showing the business case for sustainability at the association and brokerage level, and highlighting the business opportunity for agents who better understand growing market preferences for green and sustainable housing features. SPAAR plans to continue building awareness and creating a culture of sustainability for the association and its members.
Adopted December 11, 2019 by the Government Affairs Committee
Adopted January 23, 2020 by the Board of Directors