COVID-19 and Gov. Walz’s “Stay at Home” Order
March 25, 2020
March 25, 2020
To: SPAAR Members
From: Patrick Ruble, 2020 SPAAR President
Re: COVID-19: Gov. Walz’s “Stay at Home” order and what it means for Realtors®
Today, Minnesota Governor Walz issued Emergency Executive Order 20-20 Directing Minnesotans to Stay at Home. The order directs all individuals in Minnesota to stay at home to help stop the spread of COVID-19. The order is in effect as of Friday, March 27, 2020, at 11:59pm through Friday, April 10, 2020, at 5pm.
Under the order, all businesses and operations generally are required to cease activities at facilities within Minnesota unless the business is considered a “Critical Sector”. The order defines “Critical Sectors” to include:
- REAL ESTATE TRANSACTIONS. This category is limited to workers who facilitate and finance real estate transactions and real estate services, including appraisers and title services.
Realtors® and their clients may still conduct the activities necessary to facilitate real estate transactions in Minnesota during the time period covered by the order as long as they comply, to the maximum extent possible, with COVID-19 Guidelines including social distancing and hygiene and other requirements in the order.
- OPEN HOUSES – Refrain from conducting open houses during this period. It is counterintuitive to be conducting an open house activity during the “Stay at Home” directive.
- SHOWINGS – Please consult with your seller clients regarding their wishes for showings. If you will be conducting showings, limit your showings until the consumer expresses interest, and prioritize virtual showings and other non-person-to-person activities. Utilize the virtual tours and photos available to pre-screen homes you personally visit.
- UNDERSTAND – the Governor can pull this essential services tag at any time. If we don’t act within the spirit of the Order, we will be in jeopardy of not being able to service our Minnesota real estate clients and customers.
- PLEASE NOTE – You must conduct business within the COVID-19 MDH social distancing guidelines. Minnesotans may leave their homes or residences to engage in the following activities, provided that all persons follow the guidelines set forth and maintained by the Minnesota Department of Health (“MDH Guidelines”), including but not limited to social distancing, to the maximum extent possible. This list of Activities may be clarified, as deemed necessary by the Governor, to ensure the health, safety, and security of all Minnesotans. Clarifications will be available for public review at: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/
We are glad that a level of real estate activity can continue. Please stay tuned as more information and clarifications become available. Also, please note that this memo is not a legal document. This is intended to be an informational resource for you, your clients and others you may encounter while the order remains in effect.
Visit SPAAR’s website for updates about the coronavirus as they impact Realtors® and SPAAR members. Thank you. Stay safe, stay well.
Share to social media!