Advocacy Report – September 2020
September 23, 2020
Nearly 80 candidates responded in some form or fashion to our questionnaire. The Advocacy Team determined, after review of each candidate’s submission, that 30 candidates were worth bringing in for a 20-minute interview with SPAAR members and staff. These interviews were conducted via Zoom during the afternoons of Sept. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. During the interviews, SPAAR members and staff questioned the candidates about their qualifications, their reasons for running for office, and of course, real estate industry and property rights related questions. At the end of each interview, the group would deliberate about the candidate and determine which would receive SPAAR’s endorsement.
South Metro News
- The Viking Lakes project, set to bring high-end apartments to Eagan, will be right next to the Vikings practice facility
- Faribault/Northfield landed the number 2 spot on the list of “Metropolitan and micropolitan areas with the highest work-at-home share” with 14.7% of residents working from home in 2018
North Metro News
- The public is invited to participate in a virtual open house through Monday, September 28, to learn more about proposed designs for the future of Highway 65 in Spring Lake Park, Blaine and Ham Lake.
- The property at 910 County Road E will soon become an affordable rental home as a part of Shoreview’s ongoing effort to expand affordable housing options throughout the city.
East Metro News
- The St. Paul Port Authority has big plans to build a community on the site of the former Hillcrest Golf Course on city’s East Side.
- St. Paul poised to redraw residential zoning rules near major public transit. The goal is more housing density and fewer parking requirements near major public transit corridors.
- Woodbury has two loan programs: the “Neighborhood Reinvestment Fund” and the “First-time Homeownership Program”, meant to increase investment and homeownership in the city.
West Metro News
- More than 40 landlords are suing the city of Minneapolis over a newly enacted tenant protections ordinance that limits what landlords may consider when screening prospective renters.
- South Minneapolis beautification attempts to draw business to area damaged during the riots
State and National News
- National Association of REALTORS® President Vince Malta issued a statement in response to the White House’s eviction moratorium executive order.
- Teresa Boardman, one of SPAAR’s members, put together many helpful voting tips, which include planning ahead and checking local and state websites for information.
- The 2020 Census collection is occurring until September 30, 2020. The census is important for all REALTORS® because completing the 2020 census means more resources for businesses and communities across the country.
Sign Up and Stay Informed
Get monthly Advocacy Updates from the Government Affairs team at SPAAR. The updates are sent out every third Wednesday of the month via email.
➥ Sign up
Share to social media!