Advocacy Report – October 2020
October 28, 2020
REASSERTING OUR VALUES
As we all know, this years’ Election is right around the corner. On November 3rd America will cast its final ballots for everything from City Council to President of the United States.
It has been an incredibly contentious and divisive election cycle. The emergence of COVID-19 last winter has only made things worse.
Nationwide and state-level races are often at the forefront of voters’ minds, but it is important to remember the impact of local elections. Here at the Saint Paul Area Association of REALTORS® (SPAAR) we are focused on issues and candidates in your communities.
SPAAR wants to reassert its values of nonpartisanship and bipartisanship. When it comes to election season SPAAR only concerns itself with local candidates’ views on public policy issues related to real estate, housing, and property rights. We do not wade into the political waters. Whether a candidate is Republican, Democratic, Libertarian, or Independent, if they are REALTOR® champions, we will support them.
SPAAR works with city and county officials to build better communities. We do not involve ourselves in state and national political or electoral matters.
Here at SPAAR, our goal is to promote homeownership and protect private property rights for all. Regardless of which candidates are in office, SPAAR will continue to work towards our goals.
- An Absentee Ballot is a ballot completed and mailed in advance of an election. In Minnesota, the absentee ballot must be post-marked by November 3.
- Vote early in person at your county election office before November 3.
- Election Day Voting is voting in person on November 3.
- Curbside Voting is available for voters not able to enter into polling place.
- In special situations, you may ask an agent to pick up and return an absentee ballot for you. This is called ‘agent delivery.’
General Election Information
- In Minnesota, you can register in-person September 18 to November 3. Check or update your registration status here.
- If you plan to vote in-person, find your polling location prior to Election Day.
- If you have submitted your absentee ballot, you can track the status here.
Get Out the Vote
2020 Specific Information
- Serve as an election judge. This is a chance to learn about elections and is a great service to the community.
- Many COVID-19 precautions are in place. Voters are encouraged to follow CDC Guidelines.
- Have you or a client moved recently? You can use the Interactive Voter Registration Guide for assistance.
- Unsure where to submit your ballot? Allianz Field among sites Ramsey County voters can drop off ballots.
State & National Election News
- You can see what’s on the 2020 General Election ballot ahead of time.
- As a member of the REALTOR® Party, NAR encourages you to vote for candidates and issues at the local, state, and national levels.
- The Saint Paul Area Association of REALTORS® and the Minneapolis Area REALTORS® have both respectively endorsed 23 REALTOR® Champions in the sixteen county Twin Cities Metro Area.
Sign Up and Stay Informed
Get monthly Advocacy Updates from the Government Affairs team at SPAAR. The updates are sent out every third Wednesday of the month via email.
➥ Sign up
Share to social media!